Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 28:58 — 19.9MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | Learn about more subscribe options
Romance is the fuel that feeds the flames of passion and love. Romance is the yearning of the young heart and the ambition of the aged. Romance is the key that turns the lock of loneliness and liberates the secrets of the soul. Listen in as we uncover the mystery of romance from the pages of the Bible.
Ephesians 5: 31,32 and Genesis 2: 23,24
In the beginning, God gathered the dust of the ground, shaped the body of a man, and breathed into him the incredible breath of life. Then from man God made one of His most intriguing creations, woman. Together the two made an amazing union, as they became husband and wife. This was a match defined by the most powerful emotions in the known to man: love, passion, and romance. So this is how it all it began, a story where these same emotions perfected would redeem mankind from sin, despair, and an eternity in the flames of Hell. This is the Mystery of Romance…
The Mystery in the Pursuit of Romance
The Pursuit of Romance in Creation
In creating man, the feeling of loneliness was realized. This is not just a feeling of no one to talk to, but a deep loneliness for sharing. It became clear that man needed a companion of his equal, a person to share his life with. He needed a person who he could trust with all his hopes, dreams, and aspirations; a person he could become uninhibited in his vulnerability with. God looked down at His creation of man and saw this deep need, and went into action.
And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a help meet for him.Genesis 2: 18
The great Creator put Adam to sleep and from his rib made a new creature, a women. As Adam woke, his eyes were filled with the most amazing thing he had ever seen, and the feeling of love with all it passion of romance was conceived. This is a love that transcends just friendship, it was a love between a man and his wife, a lifetime commitment of togetherness, two lives became one.
They would become best friends, to share every moment of life’s experiences with. Adam had a person to care for. They would know each other like no one else in the world could ever know.
With one creative act, God solved the problem of loneliness with the invention of the bond of marriage. Two lives intertwined in ways that are designed to fulfill natural needs for companionship and intimacy.
And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from the man, made he woman, and brought her unto the man.Genesis 2: 21-22
Nevertheless, the devil would deceive us with cheap, ugly replacements for the beautiful design of holiness in marriage.
- The deception of living together without the lifetime commitment of marriage.
- A recent study by the National Council on Family Relations confirmed what other studies have been showing for years, that couples cohabiting before marriage are more likely to get divorced than those who don’t.
- Also, the Bible clearly stands against sexual activity outside of marriage.
Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.I Corinthians 6: 18
- The deception that is in the idea of same-sex marriage.
- In promoting this sinful lifestyle, the devil is trying to destroy the picture of marriage.
- Society wants us to accept this a normal behavior, but this is activity that God does not accept.
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.I Corinthians 6: 9,10
- The deception that is in the addictive nature of pornography.
- According to CovenantEyes.com 64% of Christian men and 15% of Christian women watch pornography at least once per month.
- In Genesis 2 God created a beautiful, holy relationship, but it is being neglected and replaced by the ugly filth of this world even among Church going people.
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt commit adultery: but I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hat committed adultery with already in his heart.Matthew 5: 27,28
God created passion, desire, and romance when he made man and woman. Eve was pursued by Adam from the moment he laid eyes on her. He found her the best the flowers he could find, told her the sweetest things he could think of, and held her in tenderest ways he could! Romance was born into the world.
The Pursuit of Romance in Life
- We all reach the age when things change.
- When guys start using hair gel, and when girls start wanting to wear makeup. It is the time when you stop acting childish around the opposite gender! You have your first crush. (The boys get teacher crush, the girls try writing their last names with boys they know.
- Your pursuit of love begins.
- You day dream about life, getting married, and what things will be like. You have your first interest and your first relationship. (This is today played over Social Media.)
- You finally meet the one and you fall hopelessly in love.
- You pursue with love letters, gifts, and looks. The pursuit is to win the love of your interest, it is to receive a decision when you pop the question. The romantic wedding day finally arrives where you exchange vows, rings, and hearts.
- Love is a romantic pursuit that ends in an incredible covenant that is a type of an even greater covenant. The covenant of Christ and the believing sinner.
The Pursuit of Romance for Sinners
Christ has engaged in the pursuit of love for poor undeserving sinners. He left the splendors of Heaven to pursue a love for you. Just like a caring father would ask for the intentions of suitor for his daugther. His intentions are clear as he pursues us with kindness, love, and mercy. His question echos the couple in love as He on bended knee asks, “Will you be mine? Can I have your heart? Will you give me you?
Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his son to be the propitiation for our sins.I John 4: 10
- It was all in his pursuit when I think of his goodness.
- That He would desire ME! That He would offer me all the benefits of being His. Just like the engagement ring, if you just say yes, I will give you the best that I have!
- It was all in His pursuit when I consider his gifts.
- It is His way of showing me His love. Just like the couple in love, the cards, the flowers, the letters, and time were all for one goal, to have her. The time He spent wooing me, when I read His letters, we I heard the voice of His Spirit, it was all for one goal, to have me! When I didn’t even know Him, He saw me, loved me, and went after me!
- This is the great mystery, that buried in the meaning of marriage is the story of the pursuit of the Gospel. A Savior, giving himself for undeserving sinners. Romance is Christ pursuing you and me!
For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.Romans 5: 6
The Mystery in the Problems of Romance
The Problem of Failure in Romance
In Genesis 3, the happily ever after for Adam and Eve was short-lived as we read about the fall of man when Eve ate of the forbidden fruit.
And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her, and he did eat.Genesis 3: 6
- Despite His indisputable love for us, we have a propensity for failure.
- Marriage is filled with mistakes and failures. Eve made a mess for her love, just like you make a mess sometimes. When you fail to live up to your expectation for each other. When you give in to your sinful nature. The mistakes we make that are embarrassing and shameful.
- Mistakes have a silver lining.
- Adam and Eve learned to joy of forgiveness and healing. In marriage we share the joy of forgiveness and healing with each other. As Eve thought, I have REALLY messed up this time, I have disappointed my husband and my God. Something incredible happened, Adam went with her?!
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.I Timothy 2: 14
It is the story of the Gospel and an unbelievable act of forgiveness and love as Adam went with his wife in full knowledge of the consequences. This a love that prompts you stay together no matter what, paints a unmistakable scene of the love that Jesus has for the Church.
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.II Corinthians 5: 21
The Problem of Family in Romance
And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD. And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering to unto the LORD.Genesis 4: 1-3
Eve had babies and everything changed!
- Romantic evenings were replaced with exhausted evenings from childcare.
- Romantic thoughts turned into stressful ones.
- Time moved in fast forward.
Kids are great for family, not so great for marriage.
- You now have to juggle your priorities.
- Two becomes three, and three become four or more!
- Everyday struggles may your pursuit more challenging.
The Problem of Faith in Romance
In Genesis chapter 4 a happy family is broken by sin.
And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Able his brother, and slew him.Genesis 4: 8
Life in the world can throw unexpected things, that hinder your pursuit of each other. For example, Our first child was stillborn. We went to the hospital with all the other expecting couples, but left with empty arms.
It is in these times that your faith in God is really put to the test.
Your faith is not measured on the mountain tops, but by your response in the valley.
The Mystery in the Purpose of Romance
The Purpose of Redeeming in Romance
In Genesis 2 God had a higher purpose in mind when He created marriage, it was the plan of redemption of mankind. One day there would come a Savoir into this world who love and die for the Church. It was not just about Adam and Eve, but about Christ and the Church.
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.Ephesians 5: 25
Your marriage is about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is not making you happy, but about the story of redemption to this lost and dying world. This is the mystery, that marriage and love is really about the story of redemption. It is not about you, its about and eternal God with a message or hope, forgiveness and eternal life.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.John 3:16
The Purpose of Reproducing in Romance
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it:Genesis 1: 27, 28a
Romance produces babies.
First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby carriage. Your kids are the direct result of your love for each other. God designed love and marriage to produce more creatures in His image.
Babies are the results of healthy marriage relationship.
The Purpose of Repeating in Romance
A healthy relationship with the Lord will produce more new creatures in His image.
Therefore if any man be in Christ he is a new creature: old things are passed away and all things are become new.II Corinthians 5:17
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:Matthew 28:19
When we are right with Him, we have the right faith in Him, the Gospel is propagated into this World. God might do more, if we just believed that He would. The Gospel has not changed and definitely has not lost its power, but we have. If you have a week puny faith and relationship with the Lord, no wonder you have no “babies” in the Gospel!
In the later part of Genesis chapter 4 everything in the first love story in the Bible came full circle.
And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew. And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.Genesis 4: 25,26
The mystery of romance is the story of redemption, grace, and the Church!