Live recording of the Fixer Upper Marriage Class. In this episode learn how to manage all the technology that impacts marriage today. Find out how to turn your marriage into a “smart” marriage. This is Part 2 of How to Manage Technology in Your Marriage. For part 1 click here.
How to Manage Technology in Your Marriage
Turning Your Fixer Upper into a Smart Home
All Things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.I Corinthians 6:12
3. Do Not Have Serious Conversations through Electronic Devices
- God created us to communicate with each other with verbal and non verbal ques.For Example, I use my eyebrows to communicate with my wife sometimes! 🙂
- Dr. Albert Mehrabian, author of the book Silent Messages conducted a study on nonverbal communication. He found that 7% of any message is conveyed through words, 38% through certain vocal elements, and 55% through nonverbal elements (facial expressions, gestures, posture, etc). This means that 93% of our communication is nonverbal.
- Therefore, electronic communication could be missing 93% of its intended meaning.
- Although emojis are helpful, they cannot make up for this.
- Have real face to face conversations with your spouse!Resolve your conflicts in person.
- Wait until you can talk in person.
4. Do Not Keep Secrets from Your Spouse.
- Your spouse should have access to all of your online accounts and passwords.Your spouse should know how to unlock your phone.
- For example, when possible if I need to talk to someone at work of the opposite sex on the phone, I try to text, so there is a written record of what was said.
- Your social media should be a shared thing as a married couple, there should be no secrets.
- Consider the impact of a social media post on your marriage BEFORE you post it.
- How will other people view what I am sharing?
- What will my spouse think of what you are sharing?
- Consider that anyone in the world can see what you post.
5. Make Time for Your Spouse without Electronic Devices.
- Take the time to cultivate your love and passion.Besides the Lord, your relationship with your spouse is the most important one in the world for you.
- God made marriage for a lifetime of love and passion.
- Pray together.
- Share life together.
- Take a new challenge.
- Spend 5 minutes each day this week with your spouse with NO electronic devices.
- Why let technology ruin the love and passion that God intends for you to have. God wants you to be madly in love with your spouse?
I am my beloved’s, and his desire is toward me.Song of Solomon 7:10
- Treat yourself as prone to sin.
- Deal with your fear of missing out.
- Do not have serious conversations through electronics.
- Do not keep secrets from your spouse.
- Make time for your spouse without electronic devices.
If this podcast is a blessing to you, consider leaving feedback on this website or leaving a review wherever you listen.
God has something amazing planned for your marriage.