Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 21:04 — 19.3MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | Learn about more subscribe options
Live recording of the Fixer Upper Marriage Class. In this episode learn how to manage all the technology that impacts marriage today. Find out how to turn your marriage into a “smart” marriage. This is Part 2 of How to Manage Technology in Your Marriage. For part 1 click here.
How to Manage Technology in Your Marriage
Turning Your Fixer Upper into a Smart Home
All Things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.I Corinthians 6:12
3. Do Not Have Serious Conversations through Electronic Devices
- God created us to communicate with each other with verbal and non verbal ques.For Example, I use my eyebrows to communicate with my wife sometimes! 🙂
- Dr. Albert Mehrabian, author of the book Silent Messages conducted a study on nonverbal communication. He found that 7% of any message is conveyed through words, 38% through certain vocal elements, and 55% through nonverbal elements (facial expressions, gestures, posture, etc). This means that 93% of our communication is nonverbal.
- Therefore, electronic communication could be missing 93% of its intended meaning.
- Although emojis are helpful, they cannot make up for this.
- Have real face to face conversations with your spouse!Resolve your conflicts in person.
- Wait until you can talk in person.
4. Do Not Keep Secrets from Your Spouse.
- Your spouse should have access to all of your online accounts and passwords.Your spouse should know how to unlock your phone.
- For example, when possible if I need to talk to someone at work of the opposite sex on the phone, I try to text, so there is a written record of what was said.
- Your social media should be a shared thing as a married couple, there should be no secrets.
- Consider the impact of a social media post on your marriage BEFORE you post it.
- How will other people view what I am sharing?
- What will my spouse think of what you are sharing?
- Consider that anyone in the world can see what you post.
5. Make Time for Your Spouse without Electronic Devices.
- Take the time to cultivate your love and passion.Besides the Lord, your relationship with your spouse is the most important one in the world for you.
- God made marriage for a lifetime of love and passion.
- Pray together.
- Share life together.
- Take a new challenge.
- Spend 5 minutes each day this week with your spouse with NO electronic devices.
- Why let technology ruin the love and passion that God intends for you to have. God wants you to be madly in love with your spouse?
I am my beloved’s, and his desire is toward me.Song of Solomon 7:10
- Treat yourself as prone to sin.
- Deal with your fear of missing out.
- Do not have serious conversations through electronics.
- Do not keep secrets from your spouse.
- Make time for your spouse without electronic devices.
If this podcast is a blessing to you, consider leaving feedback on this website or leaving a review wherever you listen.
God has something amazing planned for your marriage.
[…] Episode 13 ends here… To listen to Episode 14 go to FixerUpperMarriage.org/Technology2 […]